Health and wellbeing

Take care of your health and wellbeing through the many health services, supports and resources available for you and your family.

General health and medical resources in Victoria

Find health and wellbeing information and other services on the following Victorian government websites:

Health and wellbeing support – Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)

The DVA offers support and resources to serving and ex-Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel and veterans. This includes their dependents and carers.

An advocate can help you find the support you may be eligible for. Use the accredited advocate register to find an ex-service organisation with advocates trained to assist you in accessing services relating to:

  • wellbeing
  • rehabilitation
  • compensation and appeals.

Veteran healthcare cards

The DVA issues Veteran health cards that give you access to certain benefits. Benefits depend on the card type. You may get free or cheaper health care and support, discounts on medicine, transport, and water and power bills. Some businesses may also give discounts.

Find out more about Veteran healthcare cards on the DVA website.

Veteran Card

You are eligible for a Veteran Card if you:

  • have an existing DVA Gold, TPI Gold, White or Orange card as a veteran
  • are the dependant of a veteran and you have your own DVA Gold Card
  • are a current or former member of the ADF, including reservists, with at least one day of continuous full-time service (CFTS)
  • are a reservist who can access free mental health care
  • are a reservist with an accepted service-related injury or condition

You can find out more about the Gold Card, TPI Gold Card, White Card, and Pharmaceutical Benefits (Orange) Card on the DVA website.

Current serving members are issued with a Veteran Card on transition. If you haven’t been issued with a card previously, you can apply through MyService.

Discounts and benefits

Businesses may offer you discounts and benefits in recognition of your service when you show your Veteran Card.

Businesses include:

  • retailers, travel and tourism operators
  • accommodation and car hire
  • entertainment
  • hospitality
  • restaurants
  • service and trade industries ranging from gym memberships to automotive mechanics and legal

You can find out more about concessions and benefits on the DVA website.

Transitioning from service

When you’re transitioning from service to civilian life, you are issued with a Veteran Card on transition. You can also apply for a Veteran Card through MyService on the DVA website.

MyService also has information about your entitlements.

For more information and help, call Veterans' Affairs on 133 254 or 1800 011 046 (regional callers).

Lodge a claim

If you’ve been medically discharged from the ADF or have left the ADF with an injury, lodge a claim through MyService as soon as possible. This lets you access tailored health and wellbeing services and payments through DVA.

For help lodging a claim, you can find a certified advocate in your area on the accredited advocate register.

The earlier you lodge your MyService claim, the earlier you can access services through DVA.

Veteran Health Check

After you transition to civilian life, you can have a comprehensive health check with your general practitioner (GP).

Mental health support and resources

Head to Health

Head to Health provides mental health resources from trusted service providers that may be useful to veterans. This includes information on:

  • anxiety
  • depression
  • boost mental health
  • trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • professional support

Counselling and outreach services

The following organisations offer 24/7 support:

Better Health Channel

Better Health Channel has information on:

  • recognising the signs of mental health issues in veterans and ADF personnel
  • common mental health issues in veterans and ADF personnel
  • families of veterans and ADF personnel, and mental illness
  • get help now
  • where to get help.

RSL Veteran Central

Veteran Central puts you in touch with ex-Service organisations that provide support to maintain your wellbeing.


Use Engage to search for free services and support from not-for-profit service providers. Engage supports ADF members and their families, and those involved in their support.

Psychiatric assistance dogs

Veterans assistance dogs have been piloted in Victoria. Victorian veterans can access them through DVA website.

Defence Community Dogs is a program run by the Defence Bank Foundation. It provides assistance dogs to veterans suffering from PTSD and related conditions.

Therapy horses

Path of the Horse is a fee-for-service equine-assisted therapy and counselling service for veterans.

Get help now

If you’re in crisis, in danger, or you have seriously harmed yourself, call triple zero (000) for emergency services.

If you don’t need immediate assistance but you need help, it’s a good idea to talk to your friends and family about how you are feeling. They can give you the support you need while you work through the issues you’re dealing with. If you’re not comfortable talking to the people that are close to you, see your local doctor or healthcare professional. They can provide referrals and direct you to more support if you need it.

The Australian Defence Force has telephone support services available to all personnel and veterans and their families. These services put you in touch with counsellors experienced in issues relating to military service.

Services include:

Where to get help

  • Your doctor
  • Your counsellor
  • Australian Defence Force (ADF) All Hours Support Line, call 1800 628 036
  • Veterans and Veterans Families Counselling Service, call 1800 011 046